Life is busy. So you'll be forgiven for thinking that a discussion about changing your own engine oil seems about as appealing as a lecture from your dentist about flossing more regularly. Why should you take precious time, a limited resource, and spend it changing your own oil? Here are three good reasons.
1. It Costs Less
Money is a precious resource for many of us. So, it's enticing to know that changing your own oil saves you green. Typical cars require four to six quarts of engine oil. You’ll also need a new oil filter to finish the job. Your exact cost will vary according your vehicle, but what’s certain is that you’d pay more for someone else to do this simple maintenance for you when you factor in a parts markup and labor. Now, you may see a $19.99 oil change advertised at the local quick-lube station, but there are a few problems with that.
- First, they tend to use non-branded engine oil that may not be the best quality. One of the great things about performing your own oil change is choosing the brand of your choice.
- Second, that cheap oil change and convenience comes at a cost—they’re likely taking a loss on the oil change special because they want the opportunity to sell you other work.
- Third, no one cares about your car more than you do. You'll do a great job because it matters to you.
Check out our oil change specials for deals on the oil and oil filter to save some cash.
2. It’s easier—and faster—than you think
You can change your own oil using a few basic tools. We can help you choose the best oil for your vehicle and even recycle your used oil. As for time—how much time do you already spend waiting in a crowded lobby for someone else to change your oil? With a little experience, you'll be able to change your own oil in far less time, without ever leaving home.
When it’s time, read our step-by-step guide to change your own oil. In the meantime, gather these basic supplies:
3. The pride in doing it yourself
Changing your own oil can be just the beginning. DIYing can be addictive, in the best way. And there are plenty of other beginner-level projects you can tackle, such as:
For more inspiration, take a look at our basic car maintenance schedule. But for now, give the oil change a shot, feel pride in your new skill, and see if the experience turns into a bridge to more exciting projects down the line.
Have you changed your own oil? Do you have tips to share for making it an even easier project? Share your experience with new DIYers.