Fall vehicle maintenance checklist: help your vehicle adjust to seasonal changes by completing this preventative maintenance checklist.
You may not associate fall as a prime time to complete a seasonal preventative maintenance checklist. But, while most of the items on this checklist are geared toward winter driving, it’s much smarter and easier to do them during fall when the weather is milder and less threatening. That’s especially true if you live in the northern half of the country or in higher elevations.
So, let’s get started!
Fall Vehicle Maintenance Checklist: be prepared!
- Check your oil level, and add oil if necessary; it’s even better if you perform an oil and lube job. Be sure to use a multi-grade viscosity oil for winter driving.
- Test your battery for free at any of our auto parts stores. If it needs to be replaced, Advance Auto Parts will install the new battery for no extra fee.
- Inspect your windshield wipers. Bitter cold, snow and ice are hard on their rubber blades. You can find blades designed for winter at Advance Auto Parts stores. We’ll install those for free, too.
- Fill your windshield wiper reservoir with the proper type of windshield fluid for your climate.
- Look at the level and condition of your engine coolant. If the level is low, add antifreeze. If the condition looks poor, do a flush-and-fill.
- Evaluate your belts and hoses. If you see any evidence of fraying, cracking or leaking, get a new belt or hose immediately.
- Consider getting a tune-up, especially if it’s been 30,000 miles or so since your last one. At the least, perform a visual inspection of your spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor.
- Make sure your tires are properly inflated. When dealing with sloppy or icy road conditions, you’ll need the best traction your tires can deliver. If your tires are worn, replace them before winter arrives.
- Apply high-grade car wax to your vehicle’s exterior to help protect it from the possible onslaught of snow, ice, sleet and freezing rain.
- Put together a winter car survival kit. Jumper cables, flares, ice scrapers, road salt, flashlights, flares, blankets, first aid materials and snacks are all good to include in your kit.
Look to Advance Auto Parts if you need assistance with your vehicle maintenance checklist.
Whether your need quality auto parts or expert advice to complete your checklist, Advance Auto Parts is ready to help. Just let us know what you need. We want both you and your vehicle to make it through fall and winter safely.
Count on Advance Auto Parts for the quality auto parts for all your vehicle preventative maintenance tasks.